Biomedical Research (Thesis)
MS in Biomedical Sciences
Pursue groundbreaking, cutting-edge research in a topic that most interests you as
a student in the Biomedical Research (Thesis) Concentration. As a research candidate,
you will work one-on-one with a faculty mentor to develop and execute an original
project that advances scientific understanding.
In earning a MS in Biomedical Sciences with a concentration in biomedical research, you will demonstrate advanced knowledge
and skills in a particular topic and the independence, ability and perseverance to
comprehensively plan and execute a complex project.
Biomedical Research Career Options
Students who have earned the MS in Biomedical Sciences with the Biomedical Research
(Thesis) Concentration have gone on to positions in:
- Medical technology/biotechnology
- Biomedical research and development
- Pharmaceuticals (technician, sales rep, etc.)
- Science teaching
- Scientific writing and editing
- PhD programs in science
- Public health/epidemiology
- Medical law and/or ethics
Upon completion of the research concentration, the student will be able to:
- demonstrate advanced knowledge in their chosen area of biomedical sciences.
- apply advanced skills to access, synthesize and interpret medical literature.
- apply scientific method, data analysis, and empirical inquiry toward the implementation
of a successful research project design including hypothesis generation, design of
experiments, planning and executing the necessary methodologies and analyses, and
completing a written and oral presentation that is worthy of publication and public
- demonstrate advanced understanding of multiple approaches to quantitation of results,
to presenting the research in written and oral forms, and to conveying its significance
in health related issues.
- apply their knowledge and skills in industry, teaching, or further graduate study.
- demonstrate effective use of computer technology in the biomedical sciences.
After completing foundation year coursework, students may progress to the second-year