Graduate and Medical Student Research Opportunities
PCOM designs research experiences for medical and graduate students to stimulate the
imagination, gain knowledge and instill commitment to evidence based practices.
PCOM investigators are committed to training students in research methodologies and
honing their communication skills. In turn, students contribute to formulation of
hypotheses, data collection and sharing of information in a collegial atmosphere within
the laboratory, patient care center or clinical research facility.
Information for Graduate and Medical Student Researchers
How can I get involved with research at PCOM?
There are numerous opportunities for medical and graduate students at PCOM, PCOM Georgia
and PCOM South Georgia to get involved with PCOM research projects.
- Read our research related webpages.
- Read about our research focus areas that may be of interest to you.
- Within the focus area pages are links to individual faculty members' research pages.
- Additional information about faculty research can be obtained by reading their publications
listed in Digital Commons. Direct links to Digital Commons are provided on the faculty research pages.
- Review the listings for on- and off-campus research projects located in the Student
Research Opportunities page accessed through the Student Research section in myPCOM.
- Attend the Faculty Research Forum event to receive the most current information on
thesis and part time research opportunities.
- Contact faculty to discuss research projects.
Where can I view additional resources on student research?
- Review the guidelines for student conduct in the laboratory located within the Student
Research page in myPCOM.
- All students are required to take the Responsible Conduct of Research course accessed
through the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) program website.
Your faculty mentor/principal investigator will guide you to other courses that are
pertinent to your project.
- Approach your work with enthusiasm and dedication. What you learn from research experience
will translate into other aspects of your professional life.
Can I earn Federal Work-Study funds while participating in research?
Some research lab positions may allow students to earn funds through Federal Work-Study
(FWS) while participating in faculty research projects.
Information for Principal Investigators
If you are a principal investigator offering a student research opportunity, please
complete our research opportunities Google form or contact Jacquelyn White, PCOM Division of Research office manager, at email@example.com.