Culturally Aware Psychology Students
Culturally Aware Psychology Students (CAPS) is a student group in the School of Professional and Applied Psychology that supports efforts of creating a learning environment that encompasses multicultural
principles and values in the educating of psychology students.
To build a multiculturally competent learning community of graduate and medical students
by exploring issues of diversity and inclusion throughout the educational process
and creating safe environments to expand personal and professional awareness of differences.
- Provide educational seminars on an annual basis to address issues of inclusion
- Participate in local and regional cultural events that promote diversity
- Develop sensitivity to diversity by sharing experiences with others
- Provide safe environments for students to express concerns and receive support regarding
- Facilitate program sensitivity by providing feedback to the classroom community through
“teachable moments” and cultural feedback loops
- Build community connections by supporting the progression of diverse interactions
- Participate in service projects that support and advocate for the underserved or vulnerable
populations in the community