Master of Applied Positive Psychology
Online MAPP Program
Become a powerful positive change force in communities, schools, clinics, businesses
and leadership around the world as a graduate of PCOM’s Master of Applied Positive
Psychology (MAPP) program.
In whatever role you choose to pursue, you will be able to leverage the knowledge,
skills and attitudes of an outlook rooted in seeing the best in yourself and others.
Our program is designed to create thought leaders who rely on both science and heart
to transform systems by creating “positive feedback loops.” We are focused on creating
a workforce of the future that is well-equipped with practical approaches to fostering
compassion, kindness, love, and achievement on a regional, national and global scale.
The fully online applied positive psychology program provides foundational knowledge
in the areas of positive psychology, clinical health psychology and health behavior
change, with a primary emphasis on positive psychology.
Upon completion of the Master of Applied Positive Psychology program, students will:
- have skills in motivational interviewing and mindfulness.
- be able to apply positive psychology interventions that include a focus on personal
strengths, gratitude, kindness, purpose and love.
- have honed their scholarly writing skills and feel more confident in taking a large-scale
research-informed project from concept to implementation to evaluation.
- be prepared to think about positive change from a biopsychosocial perspective that
includes insight into key motivational principles that are important to healthy lifestyles.
|Online MAPP Program Quick Facts
||1 year, full-time
About the Online MAPP Program
When we consider the importance of the mind-body connection and holistic views on
well-being, PCOM is the ideal institution with its osteopathic tradition to offer
a positive psychology degree as our programs prioritize expertise in whole person
wellness. The Master of Applied Positive Psychology program provides educational and
training options for students interested in grounding themselves academically and
practically in a positive psychology-based orientation to helping others. The program
also prepares students to pursue doctoral studies in psychology.
Online MAPP Program Mission and Objectives
The Master of Applied Positive Psychology program prepares students with the attitude,
knowledge, and skill set to apply a culturally sensitive, strengths-based “human flourishing”
model to enhance wellness, life satisfaction, and optimal functioning among individuals,
families, communities, and organizations. The MAPP program blends positive psychological
theory, research, and applied approaches in the areas of health behavior change, human
development, education, and leadership. A particular emphasis falls on exploring innovative
whole-person strategies to strengthen resilience at biological, social, cognitive,
emotional, behavioral and spiritual levels. MAPP students also learn to critically
evaluate research outcomes in positive psychology to inform practical ways of catalyzing
change within clinical, community-based and corporate organizations.
MAPP Program Objectives
During the Master of Applied Positive Psychology program, students will:
- explore research and culturally sensitive interventions in the field of positive psychology.
- understand human development and diversity through a positive psychology lens.
- develop motivational interviewing skills focused on health behavior change.
- apply a positive psychology and biopsychosocial framework to preventive health and
- identify and elaborate on the intersection between CBT and positive psychology.
- learn psychoeducational group facilitation skills in A Happier You and Health Support Program.
- complete a capstone thesis that consists of developing, implementing, and evaluating
a positive psychology project.
- complete a 3-credit practicum experience over the year in existing positive psychology
and clinical health psychology programs by participating in the Happier You and Health
The Master of Applied Positive Psychology program prepares graduates to pursue careers
- Wellness coach
- Health navigator
- Care coordinator
- Organizational consultant
- Research coordinator
- Institutional wellness program director
- Project manager
- Wellness consultant
How to Apply to the Online MAPP Program