COVID-19 and Financial Aid | Frequently Asked Questions
Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions 
COVID-19 and Financial Aid

Read important information regarding tuition, disbursements, work study and more as it relates to financial aid and the College's operations in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Apply for Student Emergency Funds

Please note this FAQ will remain fluid as new federal, state and institutional regulations and restrictions arise. PCOM leadership will continue to monitor the situation daily, following national and local guidance and communicate changes as provided.

What information does PCOM have about the debt cancellation and the interest freeze the White House announced on August 24, 2022?

On August 24, 2022, the U.S. Department of Education announced the Biden Administration's efforts to provide $10,000-20,000 in student loan debt cancellation. For more information, please refer to the White House Fact Sheet.

Also announced was the final extension of the pause on student loan repayment, interest and collections through December 31, 2022, which was set to expire at the end of September.

There were a number of other proposals that may not affect all borrowers. For more information on all topics and how they may affect you, please refer to the press release. Federal Student Aid (FSA) also has a Student Debt Relief Plan FAQ.

View updates on NASFAA's Student Loan Debt Cancellation Web Center.

Addendum: To allow resolution of the litigation surrounding the executive order, the Department of Education has extended the repayment pause while the litigation plays out, announcing that the repayment pause will resume 60 days after the Department is permitted to implement the program or the litigation is resolved. If the program has not been implemented and the litigation has not been resolved by June 30, 2023 — payments will resume 60 days after that.

I have been adversely affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. How can I apply for emergency funds?

Current PCOM students at all locations may request emergency funds to assist with their finances during the pandemic. Learn more about student emergency funds and how to apply.

Will the tuition we paid for spring semester be applied to summer semester or will we get a refund if we do not continue rotations during the spring semester?

PCOM continues to provide coursework, including rotations, using online instruction. If, however, coursework is altered such that it extends past a term or into another term, PCOM will ensure that the student will not pay more than what was initially required by your program prior to COVID-19 excluding any future annual tuition/fee increases.

If we have to make up course work later, but have already paid for tuition this term, will we still get financial aid for living expenses when we are finishing up course requirements?

PCOM continues to provide coursework, including rotations, using online instruction. If, however, coursework is altered such that it extends past a term or into another term, students can apply for the necessary financial aid for the additional time added to their academic calendar.

Will the loan disbursement schedule change at all?

Loan disbursements are scheduled based on the academic calendar. If your program changes their academic calendar it could result in an adjustment to loan disbursements.

Do we have to complete a certain number of credits to receive the full amount of aid each term?

Students need to maintain at least half-time enrollment (3 credit hours) to be eligible for most financial aid programs.

If the only course I was taking this term was a rotation that has been canceled, not by my choice, will this impact my aid already received?

PCOM continues to provide coursework, including rotations, using online instruction. Students enrolled in online courses maintain eligibility for financial aid assuming the student is enrolled in a least half-time (3 credit hours) for the term.

Would aid that has already been disbursed be required to be returned and how would I know or be notified?

As long as the student continues to be enrolled in online coursework during the term, they will be eligible to maintain the financial aid that was originally disbursed to them.

Will work-study students that are no longer able to get financial aid be able to change disbursement amounts to receive more aid? Basically, I lost income so can I get additional financial aid?

Federal Work-Study students will continue to be paid based on the hours they were scheduled to work until one of the following happens:

  • the end of 2019-2020 spring term,
  • students are asked to return to campus,
  • or further guidance is provided by the Department of Education about paying federal work study students.

Can I still use my financial aid for online courses? Do I have to notify of the change? Does my disbursement amount change?

Financial aid can be used for online course instruction. No change in financial aid will result as a result of moving to online instruction.

Will I still apply for financial aid for the next academic year at the same time I normally would or is that process different now?

Yes. Students should complete their FAFSA on as soon as possible if they expect to attend during the next school year.

View our complete instructions on how to apply for financial aid.