Our mission is to develop innovative approaches to promoting health through basic,
translational, clinical, behavioral, education and community research and mentor students
in investigative methodologies and information retrieval, appraisal and dissemination.
Through research, we will enhance students':
- Curiosity and creativity
- Disciplined thinking
- Communication skills
- Appreciation of evidence-based medicine
- Sense of responsibility to their patients, profession and community
- Pride in their accomplishments
- Preparedness and competitiveness for residency
Visit our research focus areas section to learn more about PCOM research activities.
What We Do
Support and Enhance Research Productivity
The Division of Research facilitates scholarly activity by providing:
- Guidance for project development and management.
- Regulatory review of human and animal studies.
- Assistance with grant proposal preparation, budget, submission and management.
- Seed money for pilot projects.
- Staff, equipment and consultants.
Productivity metrics include:
- Mentoring students.
- Faculty and student presentations.
- Publication of peer-reviewed manuscripts, review articles and book chapters.
- Interviews, webinars, etc.
- Editorial boards, study sections, manuscript reviewer.
- Submission of applications for extramural funding.
- Grant and contract awards.
Optimize Utilization of Funding, Staff, Space, Equipment and Supplies
These efforts include:
- Maximizing resource and space sharing to enhance productivity and student involvement.
- Facilitating internal and external collaborations.
- Continuing to upgrade equipment.
Expand Clinical Research Opportunities
We will work to expand clinical research opportunities by:
- Facilitating collaborations between faculty, alumni, external clinicians, residents
and medical students in clinical research studies and clinical trials.
- Maintaining the student research opportunities website.
- Obtaining support for clinical project managers.
Increase Extramural Research Support
In order to increase extramural research support, we will:
- Continue to identify and communicate sources of funding.
- Establish partnerships with companies offering sponsored and collaborative research
- Identify sources of support for research required to attract licensing of PCOM’s inventions.
- Seek contracts that utilize our facilities.
- Expand partnerships with health insurance companies to test innovative strategies
for healthcare delivery and outcomes assessments.
Manage Intellectual Property
As part of our strategic research plan, we will continue to evaluate licensing and
commercialization potential of PCOM inventions, evaluate models for partnerships with
faculty companies, and provide support for external consultants that:
- Offer guidance for federal small business grant applications.
- Develop roadmaps for licensing technologies.
- Identify funding partners.
- Facilitate licensing agreements.
Expand Educational Resources Related to Research
These efforts include:
- Assisting with development of a curriculum that educates students about the principles
and practice of research.
- Training faculty and students in the use of programs that assist with protocol building.
- Offering faculty tutorials in intellectual property, technology transfer and roadmaps
to licensing agreements and clinical trials.
Continue to Enhance Visibility of PCOM Research
We will continue to enhance the visibility of PCOM research by updating web-based
research pages on a regular basis and continuing to communicate research accomplishments
to Marketing and Communications, Library, Institutional Advancement, Cabinet and Board
Expand Community-Based Research Opportunities
We will expand community-based research opportunities by:
- Publicizing faculty and student research related activities and opportunities within
- Fostering relationships with patient advocacy groups and community leaders.
- Organizing symposia to present research to patient advocacy groups and community leaders.