Our mission is to develop innovative approaches to promoting health through basic,
translational, clinical, behavioral, education and community research and mentor students
in investigative methodologies and information retrieval, appraisal and dissemination.
Through research, we will enhance students':
- Curiosity and creativity
- Disciplined thinking
- Communication skills
- Appreciation of evidence-based medicine
- Sense of responsibility to their patients, profession and community
- Pride in their accomplishments
- Preparedness and competitiveness for residency
Visit our research focus areas section to learn more about PCOM research activities.
What We Do
Support and Facilitate Research Productivity
The Division of Research provides:
- Guidance for project development and management.
- Regulatory review of human and animal studies.
- Information about funding opportunities.
- Assistance with grant proposal preparation, budget, submission and management.
- Seed money for pilot projects.
- Staff, equipment and consultants.
- Support for research collaborations between faculty, alumni, affiliated clinicians,
residents and medical students.
Optimize Utilization of Research Resources
- Maximize space and equipment sharing to build teams and encourage student involvement
- Facilitate internal and external collaborations
- Upgrade equipment
Evaluate Intellectual Property
- Evaluate invention disclosures and potential for licensing and commercialization
- Provide guidance for federal small business grant applications
- Support collaborations with faculty spin-out companies
Expand Educational Resources Related to Research
- Advance the curriculum that educates students about the principles and practice of
- Train faculty and students in the use of programs that assist with protocol building
and navigating clinical databases
- Offer faculty tutorials in intellectual property, technology transfer, roadmaps to
licensing agreements and clinical trials
Continue to Enhance Visibility of PCOM Research
- Update web-based research pages on a regular basis
- Communicate research accomplishments to Marketing and Communications, PCOM Library,
Institutional Advancement, Cabinet and Board of Trustees
Expand Community-Based Research Opportunities
- Publicize faculty and student research related activities and opportunities within
- Foster relationships with patient advocacy groups and community leaders
- Organize symposia to present research to patient advocacy groups and community leaders