Kudos December 30, 2020
The December 2020 edition of Kudos highlights faculty, staff, resident and student
publications and accolades at PCOM, PCOM Georgia and PCOM South Georgia.
James Aitken, DO, resident, orthopedic surgery, co-authored “Utilisation of Calcium Sulphate Beads
in One-Stage Aseptic Revision Total Hip Arthroplasty,” which was published in the
journal Hip International.
Christopher Cappellini, DO, resident, general surgery, was first author on “Outcomes of Transcarotid Artery
Revascularization and Carotid Endarterectomy at a Single Institution,” which was published
in the journal Annals of Vascular Surgery.
Marissa Evarts, DO, resident, otolaryngology and Paul Papajohn, DO ‘17, resident, otolaryngology, co-authored “Leech Therapy for Complex Facial Lacerations,”
which was published in the Journal of Craniofacial Surgery.
Greg Gilson, DO ’16, resident, orthopedic surgery and Tyler Smith, DO, resident, orthopedic surgery, co-authored “Same-Day Bilateral Total Knee Arthroplasty:
Incidence and Perioperative Outcome Trends from 2009 to 2016,” which was published
in the journal Knee.
Douglas Koch, EdD, academic development coordinator, biomedical sciences, recently gave a talk titled
“Equity in Professional Development: A Hero’s Journey,” at the 2020 International
Society for Technology in Education Equity Action Forum.
Edo-Abasi McGee, PharmD, assistant professor, pharmacy practice, co-authored “A Baker’s Dozen of Top Antimicrobial
Stewardship Intervention Publications in 2019,” which was published in Open Forum Infectious Diseases.
Tyler Smith, DO, resident, orthopedic surgery and John Kunkel, DO, resident, orthopedic surgery, co-authored “Superior Capsular Reconstruction Provides
Sufficient Biomechanical Outcomes for Massive, Irreparable Rotator Cuff Tears: A Systematic
Review,” which was published in the journal Arthroscopy.
Dianzheng Zhang, PhD, professor, biochemistry and molecular biology and Kyla Geary, division of research, center for chronic disorders of aging, co-authored “Case Report:
Co-Existence of BRCA2 and PALB2 Germline Mutations in Familial Prostate Cancer with
Solitary Lung Metastasis,” which was published in the journal Frontiers in Oncology. Dr. Zhang also co-authored “Long-term Consumption of Recycled Cooking Oil Induces
Cell Death and Tissue Damage” with Katelynn Baska (DO ’21), which was published in
The FASEB Journal.
Students and faculty presented at the 18th Annual Conference and Expo of the Pennsylvania/Delaware/NJ
Distance Learning Association (PADLA). Douglas Koch, EdD, academic development coordinator, biomedical sciences, serves as a board member
of PADLA. The following presentations were given by members of the PCOM community:
- Miriana Antenucci (MS/BioMed ’21) and Antonio Almeda-Lopez (MS/BioMed ’21): “Synchronous Mixed Modality Recitations for Online Learning.”
- Kerin Claeson, PhD, associate professor, anatomy and Brooke Thompson (MS/BioMed ’21): “Design Thinking in Anatomical Education.”
- Deketa Cobb, training and development manager, human resources: “Is This Thing On?”
- Emily Lerias (MS/BioMed ’21) and Kerin Claeson, PhD, associate professor, anatomy: “A Guided Resources Network for 1-1 Tutoring.”
- Jocelyn Lippman Bell, PhD, assistant professor, neurobiology and pharmacology: “Reflections on Teaching Science
Communications Skills to Biomedical Master’s students in a Virtual Environment.”
- Antonio Almeda-Lopez (MS/BioMed ’21) and Miriana Antenucci (MS/BioMed ’21): “Visual-Spatial Instruction: Adaptability for In-Classroom & Remote Learning of
- Brooke Thompson (MS/BioMed ’21) and Kerin Claeson, PhD, associate professor, anatomy: “Remote Peer-Led Learning in the Human Anatomy Lab.”
Read more about PCOM