There are several pathways to become a BCBA, but all require a degree, field experience
and passing the BCBA certification exam. Students in PCOM’s ABA certificate of advanced
graduate studies (CAGS) program can apply for BCBA certification via the behavior-analytic
coursework option. To obtain certification in this manner, applicants must:
- have earned a graduate degree from a qualifying institution (e.g., master’s or doctoral)
in behavior analysis, education, or psychology;
- completed graduate-level BCBA coursework at a qualifying institution that meets ABAI’s
- achieved a passing grade (“C” or better in graded courses)*;
- complete the ABAI-defined practical experience in applied behavior analysis; and pass
the certification exam.
- Students in PCOM’s ABA certificate of graduate studies (CGS) with a bachelor’s degree
may seek certification as a Board Certified Assistant Behavior Analyst® (BCaBA®). A BCBA can practice without supervision but a BCaBA must have a certified supervisor
(BCBA or Board Certified Behavior Analyst-Doctoral™ - BCBA-D®).
*Please note: PCOM requires students in the applied behavior analysis program to achieve a "B"
or better in graded courses.