Mission, Program Goals and Outcomes
MS in Medical Laboratory Science
The mission of the MS in Medical Laboratory Science program at Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine is to produce high-quality graduates
armed with the knowledge, skills, critical thinking, and professional behavior to
function in an array of laboratory settings.
To fulfill the mission of the MS in Medical Laboratory Science program and University
as well as meet the needs of the medical laboratory community, the MS in Medical Laboratory
Science program will:
- Use innovative educational methods to deliver an exceptional curriculum that best
suits the needs of a diverse population.
- Facilitate the knowledge and skills to adapt to a current and evolving scope of practice.
- Create an environment that encourages and develops critical thinking, critical reasoning,
and creative problem solving.
- Research innovative educational methods to enrich and deliver best practices in laboratory
- Develop new partnerships and relationships with professional colleagues and community
- Promote the profession through innovative education and engagement through scholarship
and membership in professional societies.
- Collaborate with other healthcare professionals to serve the needs of a diverse population.
- Encourage and deliver experiences that promote an environment for active participation
in professional organizations.
- Demonstrate and model professional, ethical practice, and leadership at all times
for the benefit of the student, professional partners, and university.
Upon completion of the program, graduates of the Master of Science in Medical Laboratory
Science program will:
- Demonstrate a scientific framework of the work requirements necessary to be a medical
- Articulate the knowledge of medical laboratory science terminology, attributes, and
other basic requisites needed to be a medical laboratory scientist.
- Demonstrate the significance of laboratory personnel in a variety of healthcare settings.
- Utilize skills acquired and polished for effective citizenship and fostering life-long
learning among peers and the profession.
- Integrate the diversity of cultures, both within the profession and fields of healthcare,
throughout their career.
The student outcomes will remain consistent with prescribed NAACLS outcomes as follows:
- Graduate certification rates will meet or exceed the 75% pass rate for the ASCP-BOC
- The program graduation will meet or exceed 70% for students who begin the second half
of the program.
- The program placement rate will meet or exceed 70% for in-field placement or continue
on to further education.
- The program will report attrition rates for the MLS program.