Medical Marijuana Education
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM) has recently been approved by
the Pennsylvania Department of Health as one of only eight medical schools to receive
an official Academic Clinical Research Center (ACRC) designation.
Other institutions included in this category are Jefferson, Penn, Temple and Drexel.
This is a prelude to eventually conducting research on the therapeutic benefits of
medical marijuana by PCOM physicians and medical scientists.
Medical Marijuana Education Certification Course
PCOM offers an on-site, Pennsylvania Department of Health-approved 4-hour certification
course (4.5 AOA Category 1-A Credit). This course is open to healthcare providers
involved in the management of pain to meet Pennsylvania state requirements on opioid
Visit our continuing education course catalog, filter by topic and select "pain management" to view upcoming courses or register.
VIEW COURSES/REGISTER ONLINE
At the conclusion of this course, attendees will be able to:
- Understand difference between addiction and physical dependence.
- Recognize need for balance in use of controlled substances for treatment of pain.
- Explain federal laws and Pennsylvania regulations related to prescribing of medical
- List possible routes of administration.
- Describe therapeutic uses.
- Discuss pharmacokinetics (e.g., how delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol [delta-9-THC] is
retained in the body), pharmacodynamics, adverse effects, potential drug interactions
and clinical indications.
- Identify methods of mitigating risk related to utilization of medical marijuana with
respect to federal laws and regulations.
- Anticipate, identify and mitigate potential physiological and psychological adverse
effects of marijuana.
Subscribe to Our Mailing List
For up-to-date information regarding future programs, please subscribe to our mailing
list by completing the form below.