VALERIE E. CADET, PHD
Department of Bio-Medical Sciences - PCOM Georgia
Director of Health Equity Curricular Initiatives
Associate Professor of Microbiology and Immunology
Valerie E. Cadet, PhD, is an Associate Professor of Microbiology and Immunology in
the Department of Biomedical Sciences at PCOM Georgia in Suwanee. In addition, she serves as the Director of Health Equity Curricular Initiatives
for the PCOM osteopathic medicine programs.
She teaches biomedical science and osteopathic medicine students about virology, emerging infections, animal to
human infections, vaccines, the immune system and general and infectious disease epidemiology.
Dr. Cadet earned a doctorate degree in infectious diseases from the University of
Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine. Her research focused on the immune system,
vaccines and viruses, specifically poxviruses, influenza, RSV, coronaviruses and other
Techniques she utilized include viral genome-wide RNA interference, small molecule
library screening, and mouse models to examine the modulation of poxvirus replication
and gene expression. Additionally, through assessment of immune responses to potential
therapeutic interventions, she identified and validated vaccine targets.
Dr. Cadet has furthered her virology and vaccine expertise by co-leading PCOM Georgia’s
COVID-19 Vaccine Education Project. In addition, she has published a paper about the
use of poxviruses in cancer therapy, while maintaining collaborations with vaccine
and virus researchers.
- PhD, Infectious Diseases, The University of Georgia, Athens, GA, 2012
- BS, Biology, Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA, 2003
Dr. Cadet’s current research interests are in assessing interventions to reduce vaccine
hesitancy among both the general public and healthcare providers, as well as in exploring
the role of hygiene and other factors in COVID-19 infection and mortality rates globally.
- International Society for Vaccines
- American Society for Microbiology
- International Society for Infectious Diseases
- Association for Prevention Teaching and Research
Volunteer and Leadership Activities
- Associate Editor, MOJ Immunology (MOJI), Med Crave Group
- School Council Representative, Local Middle School, Gwinnett County
- Educational Legislative Chair, Local High School, Gwinnett County
- Judge, Science and Engineering Fairs, local and statewide