Dr. Kimberly Barefield received her Bachelor of Science in Biology (1991) from the University of Kentucky and her Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy (1997) and Doctor of Pharmacy (1998) from the University of Kentucky College of Pharmacy. Following graduation, Dr. Barefield completed a PGY1 pharmacy residency at Richland Memorial Hospital in Columbia, South Carolina. In 2004, Dr. Barefield earned board certification in Pharmacotherapy through the Board of Pharmaceutical Specialists. Additionally, Dr. Barefield holds a Masters in Healthcare Administration (2010) from South University in Savannah, Georgia.
Dr. Barefield has extensive retail and hospital experience. Previously as a clinical pharmacist at Doctor’s Hospital in Augusta, Georgia and subsequently at Beaufort Memorial Hospital in Beaufort, South Carolina, Dr. Barefield served as a member of the healthcare teams/committees which include the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee, Medication Safety Committee (committee chair), Infection Control Committee, Investigational Review Board, Critical Care Committee, Rapid Response Team, and Medication Reconciliation Committee (committee chair). She has served as a faculty liaison for state student societies and assisted in creating a PGY1-PGY2 Academic Administration and Pharmacy Practice residency program in her previous position with South University. Her teaching experience includes precepting students in Internal Medicine as well as teaching in Renal, Cardiovascular, and Endocrine courses.
Masters in Business Administration
2008 - 2010
Richland Memorial Hospital
Post-Doctoral Pharmacy Residency
Columbia, South Carolina
1998 - 1999
Doctor of Pharmacy
Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy
University of Kentucky
College of Pharmacy
1994 - 1998
Bachelor of Science in Biology
University of Kentucky
1984 - 1991
1. Tackett KL, Stephens SK, Smith FS, Ceips IA, Nobles EA. Pharmacists-managed immunization program in a rural community hospital. Presented at the 2005 ACCP Spring Practice and Research Forum.
2. Tackett KL, Stephens SK, Smith FS, Ceips IA, Nobles EA. Initiation of vancomycin regimen and adjustment through clinical pharmacy services. Accepted at the 2005 ASHP Summer Meeting.
3. Tackett KL, Marinucci D, Nobels A, Ceips I, Boisclair M. Impact of Pharmacist-Based Antimicrobial Culture Monitoring. Accepted and Presented at the 2006 ASHP Midyear Meeting.
4. Tackett KL, Smith FS. Impact of clinical pharmacy services provided through advance practice pharmacy rotations in a rural medical center. Presented at the 2008 ACCP Annual Meeting and the 2009 AACP Annual Meeting.
5. McKeever AL, Jones MC, Tackett KL, Fetterman JW. Applied Drug Information and Scholarly Endeavors: A One-Week Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience (APPE).
6. DeBellis H, Tackett KL. Improving diabetic patient outcomes through pharmacist-managed diabetes education. Accepted at the 2009 AADE Annual Meeting.
7. Tackett KL, Hite P, Fetterman J, Staijch G. Problem Based Learning in a Critical Care Elective. Presented at the 2010 AACP Annual Meeting in Seattle, Washington.
8. Tackett KL and Lancaster CS, Impact of a pharmacist-facilitated conversation map on diabetic patient outcomes. Accepted at the 2011 4th International Congress on Prediabetes and the Metabolic Syndrome in Madrid, Spain.
9. Tackett KL and Lancaster CS. Problem based learning in an elective course to associate principles between acute and ambulatory patient care. Presented at the 2012 ASHP Midyear Meeting.
10. Thomas MC and Tackett KL. A novel approach to integrating advanced pharmacy practice experience rotations in emergency and internal medicine. Presented at the 2012 ASHP Midyear Meeting.
11. Munoz V, Dang P, Pharm VK, Phan DJ and Tackett KL. Retrospective medication use evaluation of levalbuterol in patient with bronchospasm in an inpatient setting. Presented at the 2012 ASHP Midyear Meeting.
12. Tackett KL, Lancaster CS, Bradshaw M, Munoz J. Clinical experience with the use of U-500 insulin in an obese, severe insulin-resistant type 2 patient. Presented at the 2014 American Association of Clinical Endocrinologist Annual Meeting.
13. Carrillo JM, Tackett KL, Lancaster CS, and Kuebler K. Effects of initiating student driven community based self-management programs to improve the overall health and well-being for patients faced with multiple chronic conditions. Presented at the 2014 ASHP Midyear Meeting.
1. Tackett KL, Watson H, Stallworth JR. Efficacy of once-daily aminoglycosides as compared to traditional thrice daily dosing in children with cystic fibrosis pulmonary exacerbation. eJSCMA. 2003: 274-79.
2. Tackett KL, Jones MC. Complementary and alternative medicines for the treatment of diabetes. J Pharm Pract. 2009:doi101177/089719000932658
3. Tackett KL, Lancaster CS. Diabetes-related medication-induced hypoglycemia. J Pharm Pract. 2009:doi101177/0897190009332657
4. Tackett KL. Treatment options in acute lung injury and acute respiratory distress syndrome. US Pharmacist 2009;34(7):52-59.
5. Jones MC, DeBellis HF, Tackett KL. Pamlintide in the management of obesity. Clinical Medicine Reviews in Therapeutics 2010; doi 10.4137/CMRT.S042
6. Tackett KL, Lancaster CS. Diagnosis and treatment options in acute bronchitis. US Pharmacist 2011;36(7)
7. Tackett KL, DeBellis H. Pharmacotherapy options in the treatment of obstructive sleep apnea. US Pharmacist 2012;37(7):23-26.
8. Tackett KL and McKeever AL. Introduction to pulmonary medicine: part I. Journal of Pharmacy Practice 2012;25(6):568.
9. Tackett KL and Atkins A. Evidence-based acute bronchitis therapy. Journal of Pharmacy Practice 2012;25(6):586-590.
10. Tackett KL and McKeever AL. Introduction to pulmonary medicine: part II. Journal of Pharmacy Practice 2013;26(1):4.
11. Tackett KL and Stajich GV. Combination pharmacotherapy in the treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension: Continuing Education Article. Journal of Pharmacy Practice 2013;26(1):18-28.
12. DeBellis HF, Tackett KL. Safety and efficacy of ceftaroline in the management of community acquired bacterial pneumonia. Clin Med Rev Ther. 2014;6:1-6.
13. Tackett KL, C. Scott Lancaster. Hypertensive crisis in the setting of non-compliance. Ann Clin Exp Hypertension. 2015;3(2):1921.
1. Tackett KL. I Have Fallen and I Can Not Get Up: Medication Related Fall presented at GSHP Fall Meeting in Brasstown Valley, Georgia on October 20, 2012.
2. Tackett KL. Potential Adverse Effects of Herbal Supplements presented at the ASPEN Clinical Nutrition Week in Savannah, Georgia on January 21, 2014.
3. Tackett KL. Treatment and Monitoring of Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension presented at the GSHP Spring Meeting in Savannah, Georgia on March 22, 2014.
4. Tackett KL. Therapeutic Management of Primary Pulmonary Hypertension presented at Smith Wholesale Continuing Education Meeting in Savannah, Georgia on August 2, 2015.
5. Tackett KL. Under Pressure? 2016 Update on Management of Hypertension presented at Smith Wholesale Continuing Education Meeting in Savannah, Georgia on July 17, 2016.
6. Tackett KL. Under Pressure? 2016 Update on Management of Hypertension presented at South University Class of 2006 reunion in Savannah, Georgia on October 8, 2016.
7. Tackett KL. Under Pressure? 2017 Update on Management of Hypertension presented at GSHP Spring Meeting in Savannah, Georgia on March 24, 2017.
1. Tackett KL, Crouch MA. Hypertensive crisis. In: Crouch MA, editor. Cardiovascular therapy: a point-of-care guide. 1st ed. And 2nd ed. Bethesda, Maryland:American Society of Health-System Pharmacists;2010.
2. Lynch LM, Barefield KL (in press) Diabetes Mellitus Pharmacology. In Zdanowicz MM (2nd Ed) Concepts of Pharmacogenomics ASHP.
3. Barefield KL, Fetterman JW, Fetterman A. Pharmacogenomic Testing and Drug Labeling. In Zdanowicz MM (2nd Ed) Concepts of Pharmacogenomics ASHP.
4. Barefield KL. Palliative Care and Concomitant Medications. In Kuebler KK (1st Ed) Integration of Palliative Care in Chronic Conditions: An Interdisciplinary Approach. Oncology Nursing Society.
American Diabetes Association
Georgia Society of Health-System Pharmacist
American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy
American Association of Diabetes Educators
American Society of Health-System Pharmacist