First Generation Student Spotlight
Resources for First Gen Medical and College Students
First generation students are those that were the first in their families to attend
college, graduate school or medical school. The Office of Diversity and Community
Relations celebrates the unique accomplishments of first-gen students and the perspectives
they bring to PCOM.
Explore our curated list of financial resources, application guides and more for first
generation medical and graduate students or learn about a PCOM community member who
was a first gen student in their family.
Resources for First Gen Students
Admissions guides and advice
PCOM admissions resources
Financial aid resources for first-gen students
AACOMAS application fee waiver
- AACOMAS Applicant Fee Waiver Program - AACOM encourages financially disadvantaged applicants to become Doctors of Osteopathic
Medicine. A limited number of fee waivers are available to those who apply early and
Financial wellness resources
Office of Financial Aid resources
- PCOM Financial Aid Lecture Series - Each year PCOM invites industry professionals to present to graduating students
on important financial topics such as home loans, home buying, financial planning,
investing, student loan repayment and more.
- Loan Repayment Strategies for Osteopathic Physicians Webinar - This dynamic webinar
addresses how residents, fellows and attending physicians are repaying their student
loans; how to determine the best repayment strategy based on your student loan portfolio,
training and career plans; and how to adjust your repayment strategy as your circumstances
change. Paul S. Garrard is one of the nation's leading experts on student loans and
educational debt management for medical students, residents, fellows and attending
physicians. View the webinar recording and presentation materials PDF.
- AAMC Financial Wellness is an interactive service that allows students to create a personal account to measure
their financial health, receive personal feedback, set financial goals, review progress
and ask questions of an AAMC expert at any time.
- AAMC Managing Your Finances During Medical School - Get tips on reducing debt and forming money management habits. View resources on
the costs of applying to residencies, creating a budget and more.
- AAMC Transitioning to Medical School - Explore financial advice for students who have recently been accepted into medical
school including accepting financial aid, deferring undergraduate loans, budgeting
and organizing healthcare records.
In May 2022, the Office of Diversity and Community Partnerships hosted the Georgia
First Generation Foundation Gala at PCOM Georgia. This gala recognized graduating
Gwinnett County seniors who are members of the FirstGen Club at their high school.
The dinner and award ceremony recognized Georgia FirstGen's Advisor of the Year, three
Georgia FirstGen Pioneer Scholarship recipients and the first group of inductees into
the Brad Batchelor State Farm Agencies Hall of Fame.