The mission of the PCOM Physician Assistant Program is to educate highly qualified
physician assistants, preparing them to become competent and compassionate health
care providers, supported through scholarly activity and a broad range of clinical
For students to thrive in the field of medicine they must not only develop a substantial fund of knowledge, but they must acquire skills to be life-long learners. It is the goal of the PCOM physician assistant faculty to foster critical thinking and prepare students to develop the problem-solving skills they will need in clinical practice. Using multiple modalities of instruction, students will actively engage in the material. Through small group work, problem-based learning, and practical application of information, students develop key characteristics of a future health care provider such as teamwork, communication skills, and a responsibility to other members of the group. The didactic and clinical curriculum PCOM’s Physician Assistant program will empower our graduates to be leaders in the health care community, striving for excellence in all academic and professional endeavors while helping to provide health care for those in need.
1. We will be accountable for our professional and personal behavior.
2. We will be mindful of the compassionate, caring and daily responsibility we have to our patients, peers and health care professionals we work with as a team.
3. We will conduct ourselves in the highest ethical manner in concert with the AAPA code of ethics in relationships with students, peers, faculty, and other health care professionals.
4. We will be honest and truthful in all our professional dealings within and outside of the department of Physician Assistant Studies.
5. We will encourage new ideas and approaches to learning.
1. We will have the courage to meet the intense demands of our profession and our patients.
2. We will make decisions and act in the best interest of our profession and our patients.
3. We will attempt to overcome all challenges while adhering to the highest standards of personal and professional conduct.
1. We will foster respect for each other and our peers on a daily basis.
2. We will show concern for the professional and personal well-being of one another.
3. We will show respect to all people without regard to race, religion, sexual orientation or gender.
4. We will continue to strive for positive change, lifelong learning and personal improvement.
5. We will exhibit the highest degree of moral character, professional excellence, quality and competence in all that we do.