In addition to his teaching, Dr. Wu is actively involved in the research laboratory at GA-PCOM. His research projects focus on improving oral absorption and targeting of anti-tumor and antiviral agents. He has published several research papers in these areas and presented his work at a number of national meetings.
PhD, Wayne State University, 2001
BS, Shenyang Pharmaceutical University, 1994
Dr. Wu teaches several courses in the Pharmacy Program. These courses include Integrated Therapeutics, Infectious Diseases and Pharmaceutics Lab.
Peach Teaching Award, 2011-2012, 2012-2013
• “Vitamins, amino acids, and drugs and formulations Used in Nutrition.” D. Patel, C. Holaway, S. Thomas, H. Parihar, Zhiqian Wu, S. Bickett, V. Mody, Side Effects of Drugs Annual, Elsevier, 2016; 38: 355-364
• “Dipeptidyl peptidase IV as a potential target for selective prodrug activation and chemotherapeutic action in cancers.” A. Dahan, O. Wolk, P. Yang, S. Mittal, Zhiqian Wu, C. Landowski, G. Amidon Mol. Pharmaceutics, 2014; 11(12):4385–4394
• “The preformulation stability studies of a proline prodrug of methotrexate.” A. Stephenson, Zhiqian Wu, X. Yuan, Med Chem, 2012; 8(4): 622-8
• “Analytical methods for heavy metals in herbal medicines.” X. Yuan, R. Chapman, Zhiqian Wu, Phytochemical Analysis, 2011; 22(3):189-98
• “Recent advances of siRNA delivery by nanoparticles.” X. Yuan, S. Naguib, Zhiqian Wu, Expert Opin Drug Deliv. 2011; 8(4):521-36
• “Development of methotrexate proline prodrug to overcome resistance by MDA-MB 231 cells.” Zhiqian Wu, A. Shah and X. Yuan, Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letter, 2010; 20: 5108-5112
• “Development of acetaminophen proline prodrug.” Zhiqian Wu, A. Patel, R. Dave, X. Yuan, Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters, 2010; 20: 3851-3854
• “The development and mechanism studies of cationic chitosan-modified biodegradable PLGA nanoparticles for efficient siRNA drug delivery.” X. Yuan, B. Shah, N. Kotadia, J. Li, H. Gu, Zhiqian Wu, Pharmaceutical Research, 2010; 27: 1285-1295
• "Disrupting Mediator with a Short Peptide Ligand." J.K. Lum, Zhiqian Wu, A.K. Mapp, ChemBioChem. 2007; 8(11): 1233-1236.
• “Modulating transcription with artificial regulators.” A.K. Mapp, A.Z. Ansari, Zhiqian Wu, Z. Lu, Transcription Factors: Handbook of Experimental Pharmacology, Springer-Verlag; 2003; 166: 535-573.
• “Targeting Mediator for the development of a new class of artificial transcriptional activators.” Zhiqian Wu, G. Belanger, B.B. Brennan, J.K. Lum, A.R. Minter, S.P. Rowe, A. Plachetka, C.Y. Majmudar, A.K. Mapp. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2003; 125(41): 12390-12391.
• “Novel alkylpolyamine analogues that possess both antiparasitic and antimicrosporidial activity.” Y. Zou, Zhiqian Wu, N. Sirisoma, R.A. Casero, L.M. Weiss, S. Lane, C.J. Bacchi, P.M. Woster, Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett. 2001; 11: 1613-1617.
• “Molecular basis for the polyamine-OmpF Porin interactions: inhibitor and mutant studies.” R. Iyer, Zhiqian Wu, P.M. Woster, A. H. Delcour. J. Mol. Biol. 2000; 297: 933-945.
• “1-(N-Alkylamino)-11-(N-ethylamino)-4,8-diazaundecanes: simple synthetic polyamine analogues that differentially alter tubulin polymerization.” H.K. Webb, Zhiqian Wu, N. Sirisoma, H.C. Ha, R.A. Casero, Jr., P.M. Woster. J. Med. Chem. 1999; 42(8): 1415-1421.
• A. Stephenson, Zhiqian Wu, X. Yuan, (2012). The preformulation stability studies
of a proline prodrug of methotrexate, Medicinal Chemistry, 8(4):622-8
• Zhiqian Wu, A. Shah and X. Yuan, (2010). Development of methotrexate proline prodrug to overcome resistance by MDA-MB 231 cells, Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letter, 20, 5108-5112
• Zhiqian Wu, A. Patel, R. Dave, X. Yuan, (2010). Development of acetaminophen proline prodrug Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters, 20, 3851-3854
• X. Yuan, S. Naguib, Zhiqian Wu, (2011). Recent advances of siRNA delivery by nanoparticles Expert Opinion Drug Delivery. 8(4):521-36
American Chemical Society
American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy
American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientist
“BEZ235A In Vitro Dissolution/Permeation Testing”
Novartis Inc., Principle Investigator, 2011-2013
“Enhanced Delivery and Targeting of Anticancer and Antiviral Agents”
LIU Research Support Program, Principle Investigator, 2007-2008