Clinical PsyD Program Goals, Objectives, & Competencies
Goal #1 Broad and General Knowledge. To produce practitioner-scholars who have an appreciation and comprehension of the broad and general knowledge base that informs the profession of psychology.
- Objective #1-1 Scientific Psychology. Production of graduates who have acquired and demonstrated substantial understanding of scientific psychology.
- Competency 1-1 To demonstrate acquisition of the current body of knowledge in the following areas:
- Biological Aspects of Behavior
- Cognitive & Affective Aspects of Behavior
- History & Systems of Psychology
- Social Aspects of Behavior
- Research Methodology
- Techniques of data analysis
- Psychological measurement (psychometrics)
- Objective #1-2 Foundations of Practice. Production of graduates who have acquired and demonstrated substantial understanding of the scientific, methodological, and theoretical foundations of practice with an emphasis on empirically-supported, cognitive and behavioral treatments and working in multidisciplinary settings.
- Competency 1-2 To demonstrate acquisition of the current body of knowledge in the following areas:
- Individual differences in behavior
- Human development
- Dysfunctional behavior and psychopathology
- Professional standards and ethics
- Empirically supported treatments
- Multidisciplinary services and consultation
Goal #2 Implementation of Interventions. To produce practitioner-scholars who effectively use empirically-supported, cognitive-behavioral approaches to diagnose, assess, and treat individually and culturally diverse people in multidisciplinary settings.
- Objective #2-1 Relationship Aptitude. Production of graduates who are able to demonstrate competency in their professional relationships in their ability to work collaboratively with peers, colleagues, students, faculty, supervisors, members of other disciplines, clients, and community organizations.
- Competency 2-1-a To demonstrate the ability to form a working alliance with patients and clients.
- Competency 2-1-b To demonstrate the ability to work collaboratively with multidisciplinary team members, communicate professionally, follow operating procedures, and participate in furthering the work and mission of the organization.
- Objective #2-2 Assessment and Diagnosis. Production of graduates who are able to accurately and effectively diagnose and define clinical problems by properly implementing appropriate psychological assessments and measurements.
- Competency 2-2-a To demonstrate acquisition of the current body of knowledge of assessment and diagnostic skills
- Competency 2-2-b To demonstrate the ability to gather appropriate clinical information, form a case conceptualization, and communicate results in an ethical and professional manner.
- Objective #2-3 Interventions. Production of graduates who are able to effectively formulate and implement empirically-supported cognitive and behavioral intervention strategies appropriate for individual and culturally diverse populations in multidisciplinary settings.
- Competency 2-3-a To demonstrate acquisition of the current body of knowledge of intervention skills.
- Competency 2-3-b To demonstrate the ability to effectively implement interventions.
Goal #3 Diversity and Multiculturalism. To produce practitioner-scholars who are able to identify and understand issues of individual and cultural diversity.
- Objective #3-1 Sensitivity. Production of graduates who are able to recognize the importance of multicultural sensitivity and/or responsiveness, knowledge, and understanding about ethnically and racially different individuals.
- Competency 3-1 To demonstrate the ability to understand and critique the scientific, theoretical and applied individual and cultural diversity knowledge base, including an understanding of evidence-based scholarship and its appropriate application to diverse populations.
- Objective #3-2 Clinical Practice. Production of graduates who are able to apply their skills in clinical and other psychological practices in a culturally-informed manner.
- Competency 3-2 To demonstrate the ability to provide culturally competent services in all of their professional roles and to integrate an awareness of individual and cultural diversity into ethical decision making.
Goal #4 Function as a Psychologist. To produce practitioner-scholars who function as professional clinical psychologists in the context of an evolving body of scientific knowledge, and who are committed to maintaining and enhancing their broad and general knowledge-base and their clinical skills beyond their graduate careers.
- Objective #4-1 Lifelong Learning. Production of graduates who function as professional clinical psychologists and who actively embrace a lifelong learning perspective.
- Competency 4-1 To engage in activities that support and extend their knowledge, skills, and attitudes in professional psychology.
- Objective #4-2 Advocacy. Production of graduates who engage in advocacy efforts and take an active part in developing or changing public policy.
- Competency 4-2 To demonstrate a valuation and commitment to actively engaging in advocacy efforts that develop or change public policy on behalf of underserved populations.