Social Media Manager
The social media manager functions to optimize social media endeavors at PCOM by planning,
creating, curating and disseminating content in support of and in coordination with
the College’s communication efforts and overall mission. The person in this position
must have the knowledge and skills to act as the social voice of PCOM, and may contribute
to photo and video communication efforts related to social media. They must be able
to work independently and as part of a team, manage multiple projects simultaneously,
and have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
The social media manager helps to build and execute social media strategy in conjunction
with the assistant director of social media and the public relations/social media
specialist. The person in this position plans and creates engaging media content to
distribute across PCOM’s social media channels using visual media, text and web links
with the goal of pushing traffic to the PCOM website. They will also work with additional
members of the marketing and communications team to plan and create media for web
and social media needs.
This position works in a highly collaborative environment supporting PCOM while reporting
to the assistant director of social media (at PCOM Georgia) and overseeing day-to-day
social media activities and efforts of PCOM’s social media assistant work-study.
This position is based at PCOM (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Duties and responsibilities include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Act as the voice of the College for PCOM’s (Philadelphia campus) social media presence;
use knowledge of social media platforms to adjust that voice for content depending
on the social vehicle.
- Generate, share and identify ideas for social media content that supports enrollment
management and tells the College’s story to prospective and current students, alumni,
faculty, staff and community members.
- Manage and monitor PCOM’s social media channels to include Facebook, Twitter, Instagram,
YouTube, and LinkedIn for the Philadelphia campus location.
- Provide oversight and guidance to the PCOM social media assistant work-study.
- Analyze social media metrics using tools like Sprout Social, Iconosquare, and Brand24,
and create reports identifying growth, changes and platform trends to provide outcomes
data and inform leadership.
- Work with the marketing team to stay up-to-date on the College’s social marketing
campaigns and how paid marketing affects social impact.
- As needed for social media, photograph events (via cellphone camera, or other appropriate
equipment) and upload, sort and edit best photos.
- Assist the PCOM multimedia designer in curating recorded video for social media.
- Plan and assist the multimedia designer as needed for student story, faculty focus
and similar interview-type video features.
- Use an iPhone and mobile tools to create unique and interesting content for popular
social features such as Instagram Stories.
- Work with the assistant director of social media, the public relations/social media
specialist, and the public relations team to plan and manage cross-campus social content
- Utilize understanding of the College’s brand to create and manage video content and
other graphic resources for PCOM’s social media presence.
- Research and stay up-to-date with how various social media channels work and change,
including how to apply new social media trends and technology as appropriate.
- Incorporate live video technology into PCOM’s social strategy based on appropriate
- Increase visibility of the College’s social footprint by creating interesting content
as well as interacting with followers and other social influencers.
- Includes using the College’s resources to answer inquiries from prospective students.
- Schedule and plan social media content in advance as appropriate for college holidays,
special events, etc. to optimize timing for posts.
- Communicate and plan with students, faculty and staff about campus events that should
be covered for social media.
- Perform other related duties as assigned or requested.
*Applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S. and pass a criminal background
- Bachelor's degree in communications, journalism, public relations or related field
- Three to five years of experience in social media or related fields preferred.
- Experience with providing content for social media to include Facebook, Twitter, Instagram,
YouTube and LinkedIn required (across both desktop and mobile platforms).
- Experience using both Windows and Apple operating systems required.
- Photography and videography experience strongly preferred, including often using multiple
cameras/pieces of equipment at once.
- Writing experience required. Media editing skills preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills with proficiency in both Windows and Apple operating systems.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office software.
- Familiar with Google Suite tools such as Forms, Docs, Sheets, etc.
- Proficient in the use and understanding of social media channels including but not
limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
- Knowledge in digital writing and crafting content for social media channels.
- Skills using Adobe Creative Cloud programs for photo/video creation and editing; basic
skills and understanding in photography and videography.
- Skills using mobile devices including iPhones and ipads for unique social (mobile)
platforms and vertical content (such as Instagram Stories).
- Occasionally lifts and sets up supplies and equipment, or stands/walks for extended
periods of time.
- The social media manager must be able to occasionally work evenings and/or weekends
as required to cover college events.
All inquiries MUST include:
PCOM is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration.
We adhere to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship
status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
About Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
For more than a century, Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine has provided
high quality, hands-on training in osteopathic medicine. As the field of medicine
has changed, we've changed with it-adapting our program offerings to better meet the
needs of healthcare providers and the communities they serve.
At the main campus in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (PCOM), the branch campus in Suwanee, Georgia (PCOM Georgia), and our newest location in Moultrie, Georgia (PCOM South Georgia), PCOM students learn to approach problem solving in a more professional, more team-oriented
manner, which prepares them to work successfully in integrated healthcare settings
with other health professionals. All campuses feature modern facilities and state-of-the-art
technologies, all part of an innovative learning environment designed for collaboration