Associate Director, Campus Security and Public Safety
At Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM), we espouse to grow a culturally
competent workforce to advance medicine that touches the lives of underserved communities.
Diversity and inclusion is the core component of our institutional identity and a
key pillar of PCOM’s strategic vision. PCOM affirms that diversity and inclusion are
crucial to the intellectual vitality of the campus community. It is through freedom
of exchange over different ideas and viewpoints in supportive environments that our
graduates develop the critical thinking and citizenship skills that will benefit them
throughout their lives.
Since 1899, PCOM has trained highly competent, caring physicians, health practitioners
and behavioral scientists who practice a “whole person” approach to care - treating
people, not just symptoms. As the field of medicine has changed, we've changed with
it - adapting our program offerings to better meet the needs of healthcare providers
and the communities they serve. At the main campus in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (PCOM),
the branch campus in Suwanee, Georgia (PCOM Georgia), and our newest location in Moultrie,
Georgia (PCOM South Georgia), PCOM students learn to approach problem solving in a
more professional, more team-oriented manner, which prepares them to work successfully
in integrated healthcare settings with other health professionals.
The associate director, campus security and public safety, assists the director of
security and public safety with overseeing all aspects of the department on the Philadelphia
campus including three healthcare centers and an apartment building. Responsibilities
include developing security and safety measures, training programs and assuring the
overall safety and security of the college.
This position is based at PCOM (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Duties and responsibilities include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Under the direction of the director of security/public safety provides supervision,
direction and oversees the contract security staff personnel. Responsible for providing
security and safety services to the college and for the protection of life and property
within the college community.
- Assist with training and evaluations of security contract officers in order to ensure
optimum performance of assigned duties.
- Ability to remain calm and poised with a high degree of emotion security, even under
- Provides and assists input to the director regarding preparation of the College and
department policies and procedures relevant to security, safety, fire protection,
- Performs inspections to determine adequacy of security, safety and fire protection
in the College, parking lots and grounds.
- Assist, conducts and documents annual safety seminars and coordinates security and
safety programs for the college community.
- Participates in committee meetings as required.
- Report all serious incidents to the director of public safety in a timely manner
- Be available 24/7 to respond and report to serious incidents on campus.
- Supervise and assist Allied account manager with daily deployment and security operations
- Maintain, store and account for all public safety equipment i.e. (two-way radio, crowd
control equipment, patrol tour system, lockdown system, patrol vehicle, GEMe2, etc.)
- Visit and check all PCOM buildings and healthcare centers, as needed.
- Report and input serious incidents into the public safety data system.
- Manage and maintain OneCard control access system.
- Assist in planning, coordinating and implementation of safety logistics plan for campus
- Conduct educational training programs in response to safety concerns for students,
staff and faculty on active shooter, emergency preparedness, shelter in place, fire
safety, emergency response and evacuation procedures, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
*Applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S. and pass a criminal background
- A bachelor’s degree in criminal justice or a related field is required.
- Minimum of five (5) years law enforcement, college/university, corporation or combined
- Sufficient previous supervisory administrative experience with proven managerial skills
- Knowledge of security systems, procedures and enforcement codes.
- Demonstrates effective communication skills.
- Word, Excel, Office software and analytical skills.
- Knowledge of security and law enforcement principles and procedures and concepts of
- Ability to work within a college environment during stressful and emotional situations.
- Must possess tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing within a college environment.
- Works flexible hours and maintains on-call status.
- Type of Supervision: Supervision of contract security personnel.
- Frequent prolonged standing/walking
All inquiries MUST include:
PCOM is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration.
We adhere to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship
status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
About Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
For more than a century, Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine has provided
high quality, hands-on training in osteopathic medicine. As the field of medicine
has changed, we've changed with it-adapting our program offerings to better meet the
needs of healthcare providers and the communities they serve.
At the main campus in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (PCOM), the branch campus in Suwanee, Georgia (PCOM Georgia), and our newest location in Moultrie, Georgia (PCOM South Georgia), PCOM students learn to approach problem solving in a more professional, more team-oriented
manner, which prepares them to work successfully in integrated healthcare settings
with other health professionals. All campuses feature modern facilities and state-of-the-art
technologies, all part of an innovative learning environment designed for collaboration