At Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM), we espouse to grow a culturally
competent workforce to advance medicine that touches the lives of underserved communities.
Diversity and inclusion is the core component of our institutional identity and a
key pillar of PCOM’s strategic vision. PCOM affirms that diversity and inclusion are
crucial to the intellectual vitality of the campus community. It is through freedom
of exchange over different ideas and viewpoints in supportive environments that our
graduates develop the critical thinking and citizenship skills that will benefit them
throughout their lives.
Since 1899, PCOM has trained highly competent, caring physicians, health practitioners
and behavioral scientists who practice a “whole person” approach to care - treating
people, not just symptoms. As the field of medicine has changed, we've changed with
it - adapting our program offerings to better meet the needs of healthcare providers
and the communities they serve. At the main campus in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (PCOM),
the branch campus in Suwanee, Georgia (PCOM Georgia), and our newest location in Moultrie,
Georgia (PCOM South Georgia), PCOM students learn to approach problem solving in a
more professional, more team-oriented manner, which prepares them to work successfully
in integrated healthcare settings with other health professionals.
All admissions counselors participate in the development of recruitment and enrollment
strategies for the DO and graduate programs. This position requires travel to graduate
and professional school fairs, private visits to undergraduate institutions as well
as professional conferences/meetings. Note that the Office of Admissions is currently
operating in a fully remote capacity due to the Covid-19 health crisis. Additionally,
all work-related travel is suspended (students, faculty, and staff), domestically
and internationally, until further notice*, unless expressly approved by the Provost
or the President. This includes all travel via airplane, train, or other modes of
*We are monitoring the situation daily, following national and local guidance; furthermore,
we urge all students, staff and faculty to abide by all local, state and national
public health directives.
This position is based at PCOM (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Duties and responsibilities include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Along with Admissions leadership, consults with faculty committees on admissions in
the development of an annual student recruitment plan/schedule and strategies.
- Implements the approved student recruitment plan for the assigned campus and/or programs
and works closely with all admissions staff regarding admissions functions and processes
requiring coordination between campuses.
- Sets and achieves goals for performance evaluation and appropriate mentoring.
- Schedule visits to colleges/universities to promote PCOM graduate and professional
programs to prospective students and pre-health professions advisors/faculty.
- Develops both electronic and written correspondence to prospects, applicants, admits,
and confirmed applicants through email, the CRM platform and other communication channels.
- Plans, coordinates and assists in on–campus/virtual recruitment events such as information
sessions and open houses throughout the year.
- Represents PCOM at graduate and professional school fairs at colleges nationally and
regionally (in-person and online engagements).
- Counsels prospective students and applicants regarding admissions/applications processes
via phone/video conference/in-person.
- Reviews applications for DO and graduate programs in interview selection process
- Coordinates and manages interview processes on designated campus, including determination
of interview dates, scheduling of faculty/staff interviewers, arranges for appropriate
meals for the event, greets applicants on interview day, interviews and implements
post interview survey/reports results.
- Participates in faculty admissions committee meetings as assigned by supervisor, presenting
applicant data to committee as assigned, as well as coordinating with support staff
timely notification of admissions decisions.
- Communicates with admits by maintaining contact via email and invitations to campus
events to assist with accepted student yield.
- Serves on cross-campus teams as assigned: pipeline, transition and/or retention.
- Maintains accurate applicant record data by campus/program applicant pool (all stages
of admissions funnel).
- Prepares reports when requested by the supervisor.
- Assists with the coordination of campus student ambassador programs.
- Maintains membership in and attends professional association meetings, including all
national and regional pre-health professions advisor associations.
- Maintains confidential records and information.
- Maintains knowledge/robust utilization of multiple admissions technologies including
but not limited to BANNER, EMP, NOLIJ/Content, Google Docs/Drive, etc.
- Participates in on-going training and testing initiatives.
- Collaborates in cross-campus projects as assigned. Performs all related duties as
assigned by the supervisor and the chief admissions officer.
*Applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S. and pass a criminal background
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred.
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience in admissions and recruitment is valued
- Admissions and recruiting experience working in private non-profit and/or public professional
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record with no restrictions required.
- Board certification/eligibility is not required.
- Occasionally lifts supplies and equipment.
- Manual dexterity and mobility.
- Ability to travel for attendance as outlined in above responsibilities during the
- Some evening work is occasionally required.
- Works closely with student ambassadors on respective campus.
All inquiries MUST include:
PCOM is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration.
We adhere to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship
status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.