Academic Support Specialist
PCOM South Georgia
At Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM), we espouse to grow a culturally
competent workforce to advance medicine that touches the lives of underserved communities.
Diversity and inclusion is the core component of our institutional identity and a
key pillar of PCOM’s strategic vision. PCOM affirms that diversity and inclusion are
crucial to the intellectual vitality of the campus community. It is through freedom
of exchange over different ideas and viewpoints in supportive environments that our
graduates develop the critical thinking and citizenship skills that will benefit them
throughout their lives.
Since 1899, PCOM has trained highly competent, caring physicians, health practitioners
and behavioral scientists who practice a “whole person” approach to care - treating
people, not just symptoms. As the field of medicine has changed, we've changed with
it - adapting our program offerings to better meet the needs of healthcare providers
and the communities they serve. At the main campus in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (PCOM),
the branch campus in Suwanee, Georgia (PCOM Georgia), and our newest location in Moultrie,
Georgia (PCOM South Georgia), PCOM students learn to approach problem solving in a
more professional, more team-oriented manner, which prepares them to work successfully
in integrated healthcare settings with other health professionals.
PCOM South Georgia is looking for a full-time academic support specialist to work
with faculty and students to maximize educational outcomes for our professional school’s
This position is based at PCOM South Georgia (Moultrie, Georgia).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Duties and responsibilities include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Work with college administration to identify underperforming students to develop and
implement strategies which lead to academic success.
- Facilitate workshops for students on developing effective study and learning strategies.
- Provide individual assessment and counseling to identify individual learning patterns.
- Assist students with the development and implementation of strategies for preparing
for Professional Healthcare Board and Licensing Exams.
- Design and implement programs using student tutors/ peer facilitators to support learning
- Develop and deliver programs to advance performance in test taking, note taking and
*Applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S. and pass a criminal background
- Master's degree required.
- Doctoral degree preferred.
- Prior experience working with students in science or health related fields.
- Background in education, educational psychology and experience working in post graduate
biological science or similar programs.
- Experience implementing programs that incorporate learning theories and adult developmental
- Prior experience in a university setting, working with graduate and/or professional
students, and managing a tutoring program.
- Preference will be given to candidates with familiarity with medical / pharmacy school
curricula and standardized exams of the type given by the NBOME and other licensing
- The ideal candidate will possess knowledge of learning disabilities and provisions
of reasonable accommodations in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Enthusiasm for learning and achievement.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task and work effectively in a fast paced environment.
- Experience using Microsoft Office products.
- Conceptual, analytical and organizational skills.
- Innovative and solution-oriented approach.
- Ability to develop and maintain collaborative and productive relationships with various
- Familiarity with FERPA and applicable laws and regulations regarding student record,
confidentiality, and student’s rights and responsibilities.
- Experience with and enthusiasm for working with a diverse student, staff and faculty
population within a university setting.
All inquiries MUST include:
PCOM is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration.
We adhere to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship
status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.