On September 8, 1902, graduates of the first classes of Philadelphia College and Infirmary of Osteopathy (PCIO), which would later become known as Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM), held a meeting with the idea “to promote the prosperity and extend the influence of Alumni and their Alma Mater, and to encourage a high standard of Osteopathic education and practice.”
At that meeting, they formed the Alumni Association and elected officers. The Association further offered academic prizes, published meritorious theses, and collected anatomical and pathological specimens for the College Museum. For camaraderie, they held an annual banquet during Commencement weekend.
Today, over 100 years later, the Association continues “to promote the prosperity and extend the influence of Alumni and their Alma Mater” by making a difference in the communities they serve and remaining engaged and committed to the success of the College.
Earlier this year, the Alumni Association of PCOM voted to dissolve its separate 501(c)(3) corporation and become a department within Institutional Advancement at the College. This will enable the PCOM Alumni Association to fulfill its mission of promoting the interest and welfare of PCOM, as well as cultivating communication and relationships among all graduates, students, administration, faculty and staff.
To learn more about the merger please read a letter from the current and past presidents of the Alumni Association.