Dr. Rayalam is the recipient of the first ‘Virbac Animal Health - Soloxine Award’ for her work on feline thyrotropin during her doctoral program and is a Morris Animal Foundation Fellow. Before joining PCOM, Dr. Rayalam worked as a research faculty in the Dept. of Animal and Dairy Science at the University of Georgia. Her major research interests are in the fields of obesity, post-menopausal osteoporosis and phytochemicals. Dr. Rayalam has authored/co-authored over 30 articles published in peer-reviewed journals and contributed several chapters to the text/reference books for DVM and graduate students. Her work on phytochemicals and obesity is patented and has been cited in several magazines including Women’s World.
Teaching has always been a passion for Dr. Rayalam. She primarily teaches physiology and pathophysiology to first-year PharmD students and is also involved in teaching multiple courses across the PharmD curriculum.
BVSc&AH (DVM equivalent): S.V.Veterinary University, A.P, India
Master’s in Veterinary Science: S.V.Veterinary University, A.P, India
PhD (Pharmacology): University of Georgia, Athens, GA
Physiology and Pathophysiology I and II
Immunology and Microbiology
Integrated Therapeutics IV
Dr. Rayalam has worked in the areas of obesity, body weight regulation, phytochemicals and adipocyte biochemistry for over 8 years. Her research interests include:
1) to study the adipocyte life cycle and to understand the interaction of adipocytes with other cell types as an approach to address several problems associated with obesity;
2) to develop novel treatment strategies for obesity by inducing transdifferentiation of white to beige adipocytes and to inhibit lipid accumulation in white adipocytes; and
3) to identify combinations of phytochemicals and vitamins that have synergistic anti-adipogenic effects with an ultimate goal of developing pharmaceuticals or nutraceuticals for prevention and treatment of obesity and associated disorders. Aging is accompanied by an accumulation of adipocytes in bone marrow and Dr. Rayalam's other interest is to understand the fat-bone interaction and to identify molecular targets for the prevention of weight gain and bone loss associated with aging. Dr. Rayalam collaborates with UGA to develop novel therapies for obesity and osteoporosis.
Teacher of the Year, PCOM SOP, 2015
Peach Award, PCOM SOP, 2013
Virbac Animal Health - Soloxine Award, 2005
Graduate Student Travel Award, 2005
Morris Animal Foundation Fellow, 2002
Veterinary Medical Experiment Station Fellowship, University of Georgia, 2002-‘03
Indian Association of Lady Veterinarians-Chapter Book Prize, 2001
1. Miller CN, Yang JY, Avra T, Ambati S, Della-Fera MA, Rayalam S, Baile CA. A dietary
phytochemical blend prevents liver damage associated with adipose tissue mobilization
in ovariectomized rats. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2014 Nov 29. doi: 10.1002/oby.20907.
[Epub ahead of print]
2. Miller CN, Morton HP, Cooney PT, Winters TG, Ramseur KR, Rayalam S, Della-Fera MA, Baile CA, Brown LM. Acute exposure to high-fat diets increases hepatic expression of genes related to cell repair and remodeling in female rats, Nutr Res. 2014 Jan;34(1):85-93.
3. Colette N Miller, Lynda M Brown, Srujana Rayalam, MaryAnne Della-Fera, Clifton A Baile. Estrogens, inflammation and obesity: an overview. Frontiers in Biology, 2012 Feb; 7(1):40-47.
4. Emma M. Laing, Ralph A. Tripp, Norman K. Pollock, Clifton A. Baile, Mary Anne Della-Fera, Srujana Rayalam, Stephen M. Tompkins, Deborah A. Keys, and Richard D. Lewis. Adenovirus 36, Adiposity and Bone Strength in Late-Adolescent Females. J Bone Miner Res. 2013 Mar;28(3):489-96.
5. Rayalam S, Della-Fera MA, Kasser T, Warren W, Baile CA. Emerging role of apelin as a target in cancer therapy: A patent review. Recent Pat Anticancer Drug Discov. 2011 Sep;6(3):367-72.
6. C. Y. Lai, J. Y. Yang, S. Rayalam, M. A. Della-Fera, S. Ambati, R. D. Lewis, M. W. Hamrick, D. L. Hartzell and C. A. Baile. Preventing Bone Loss and Weight Gain with Combinations of Vitamin D and Phytochemicals. J Med Food. 2011 Nov;14(11):1352-62
7. S.M. Bartell, S. Rayalam, S. Ambati, D.R. Gaddam, D.L. Hartzell, M. Hamrick, J. She, M.A. Della-Fera, C.A. Baile. Central and peripheral leptin treatment produced similar increases in muscle and bone mass in ob/ob mice. J Bone Miner Res. 2011 Aug;26(8):1710-20.
8. Srujana Rayalam, MaryAnne Dellafera, Clifton Baile. Synergism between resveratrol and other phytochemicals: implications for obesity and osteoporosis. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2011 Aug;55(8):1177-85.
9. Rayalam S, Yang JY, Della-Fera MA and Baile CA. Novel molecular targets for obesity and osteoporosis. J Nutr Biochem. 2011 Dec;22(12):1099-104.
10. Baile CA, Yang JY, Rayalam S, Hartzell DL, Lai CY, Andersen C and Della-Fera MA. Effect of Resveratrol on Fat Mobilization, Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2011 Jan;1215:40-7.
11. Andersen C, Rayalam S, Della-Fera MA and Baile CA. Phytochemicals and adipogenesis. Biofactors. 2010 Nov-Dec;36(6):415-22.
12. Ambati S, Li Q, Rayalam S, Hartzell DL, Della-Fera MA, Hamrick M, Baile C. Central ghrelin vs. leptin: roles in energy and bone metabolism - Endocrine. 2010 Feb;37(1):115-23.
13. Park HJ, Della-Fera MA, Hausman D, Rayalam S, Ambati S and Baile CA. Genistein inhibits differentiation of primary human adipocytes. J Nutr Biochem. 2009 Feb;20(2):140-8.
14. Yang JY, Rayalam S, Della-Fera M.A, Ambati S, Baile CA. Octanoate and Decanoate Induce Apoptosis in 3T3-L1 Adipocytes. J Med Food. 2009 Oct;12(5):959-66.
15. Yang JY, Della-Fera MA, Rayalam S, Park HJ, Ambati S, Hausman DB, Hartzell DL, Baile CA. Regulation of adipogenesis by medium-chain fatty acids in the absence of hormonal cocktail. J Nutr Biochem. 2009 Jul;20(7):537-43.
16. Rayalam S, Della-Fera MA, Yang JY, Baile CA. Molecular Mechanisms of apoptosis and adipogenesis induced by Xanthuhumol and Guggulsterone in 3T3-L1 adipocytes. J Med Food. 2009 Aug;12(4):846-53.
17. Ambati S, Yang JY, Rayalam S, Park HJ, Della-Fera MA and Baile CA. Ajoene exerts more potent effects in 3T3-L1 adipocytes by inhibiting adipogenesis and inducing apoptosis. Phytother Res. 2009 Apr;23(4):513-8.
18. Park HJ, Yang JY, Ambati S, Della-Fera MA, Hausman D, Rayalam S, Baile CA. Combined Effects of Genistein, Quercetin and Resveratrol on Adipogenesis and Apoptosis in Primary Human Adipocytes and 3T3-L1 Adipocytes. J Med Food. 2008 Dec;11(4):773-83.
19. Rayalam S, Della-Fera MA and Baile CA. Phytochemicals and Regulation of Adipocyte Life Cycle. J Nutr Biochem. 2008 Nov;19(11):717-26. Epub 2008 May 20. Review.
20. Rayalam S, Yang JY, Ambati S, Della-Fera MA, Baile CA. Resveratrol inhibits adipogenesis and induces apoptosis in 3T3-L1 adipocytes. Phytother Res. 2008 Oct;22(10):1367-71.
21. Yang JY, Della-Fera M.A, Rayalam S and Baile CA. Effect of xanthohumol plus honokiol on 3T3-L1 cell apoptosis and adipogenesis. Obesity Research. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2008 Jun;16(6):1232-8.
22. Yang JY, Della-Fera M.A, Rayalam S, Ambati S, Hartzel D, Park HJ, Baile CA. Enhanced inhibition of adipogenesis and induction of apoptosis in 3T3-L1 adipocytes with combinations of resveratrol and quercetin. Life Sci. 2008 May 7;82(19-20):1032-9.
23. Yang JY, Della-Fera M.A, Rayalam S, Ambati S, Baile CA. Genistein and Guggulsterone synergistically induce apoptosis in 3T3-L1 adipocytes. Biofactors, 30 (2008) 159–169.
24. Rayalam S, Della-Fera MA, Krieg PA, Cox CM, Robins A, Baile CA. A putative role for apelin in the etiology of obesity. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008 Apr 11;368(3):815-9.
25. Park HJ, Rayalam S, Della-Fera MA, Ambati S, Baile CA. Withaferin A induces apoptosis and inhibits adipogenesis in 3T3-L1 adipocytes. Biofactors. 2008;33(2):137-48.
26. Rayalam S, Della-Fera M.A, Ambati S, Yang JY, Park HJ, Baile CA. Enhanced Effects of 1,25(OH)2D3 Plus Genistein on Adipogenesis and Apoptosis in 3T3-L1 Adipocytes. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2008 Mar;16(3):539-46.
27. Yang JY, Della-Fera M.A, Rayalam S and Baile CA. Effect of xanthohumol and isoxanthohumol on 3T3-L1 cell apoptosis and adipogenesis. Apoptosis. 2007 Nov;12(11):1953-63.
28. Rayalam S, Della-Fera M.A, Yang JY, Park HJ, Ambati S, Baile CA. Resveratrol potentiates genistein's anti-adipogenic and pro-apoptotic effects in 3T3-L1 adipocytes. J Nutr. 2007 Dec;137(12):2668-73.
29. Rayalam S, Della-Fera MA, Ambati S, Baile CA. Enhanced effects of guggulsterone plus 1,25(OH)2D3 on 3T3-L1 adipocytes. Bioche Biophys Res Commun. 2007 Dec 21;364(3):450-6.
30. Rayalam S, Eizenstat LD, Hoenig M, Ferguson DC. Cloning and sequencing of feline thyrotropin (fTSH): heterodimeric and yoked constructs. Dom. Anim Endocrinol. 2006 Mar;30(3):203-17.
31. Rayalam S, Eizenstat LD, Davis RR, Hoenig M, Ferguson DC. Expression and purification of feline thyrotropin (fTSH): Immunological detection and bioactivity of heterodimeric and yoked glycoproteins. Domest Anim Endocrinol. 2006 Mar;30(3):185-202.
1. Srujana Rayalam, Margarethe Hoenig, and Duncan Ferguson. “Hypothalamic and Pituitary Hormones” In Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics By Jim E. Riviere, Mark G. Papich 9th Edition, ISBN 0813820618, 9780813820613 Published by John Wiley and Sons, 2009:693-716.
2. Srujana Rayalam, Mary Anne Della-Fera, Suresh Ambati and Clifton A. Baile. “Is leptin a pro or anti-apoptotic agent” In Gertler A (ed) Leptin and leptin antagonists. ISBN: 978-1-58706-320-6.
3. Baile, CA, Della-Fera MA, Yang JY and Rayalam S. “Myostatin: Physiology and Applications” In Wilson G. Pond and Alan W. Bell (ed) Encyclopedia of Animal Science. ISBN 0824754964, 9780824754969.
4. Srujana Rayalam and Clifton A. Baile. Adipose Tissue Growth and Factors Influencing Adipocyte Life Cycle, In Michael Symonds (ed) Adipose Tissue Biology. ISBN 978-1-4614-0964-9.
5. Clifton A. Baile, MaryAnne Della-Fera, Srujana Rayalam, Diane Hartzell. "Basis for Resveratrol’s Potential for Prevention and Treatment of Obesity and Osteoporosis", In ‘Health Benefits of Resveratrol against Metabolic Disorders’, ISBN: 978-1-62257-072-0 (eBook).
6. Srujana Rayalam, MaryAnne Della-Fera, Clifton A. Baile, “Anti-inflammatory phytochemicals, obesity and diabetes: an overview” In ‘Chronic Inflammation: Nutritional and Therapeutic Intervention’. ISBN: 978-1-4398-7211-6.
Xanthohumol Compositions and Methods of Using Same. Inventors: Clifton A. Baile, Mary Anne Della-Fera, Hea Jin Park, Jeong-Yeh Yang, Srujana Rayalam, USPTO Application #:20090075957 - Class: 514171 (USPTO) Compositions and methods of the treatment of obesity and osteoporosis; Inventors: Mary Anne Della-Fera, Srujana Rayalam, Clifton A. Baile, USPTO Application #:20100093678 - Class: 514167 (USPTO)
The Obesity Society
The Endocrine Society
American Society for Nutrition
American Veterinary Medical Association
American Association for the Advancement of Science