Students begin their field experiences during their second year in the program and this continues throughout the remainder of their coursework. There are three practica experiences and an internship. This provides students the opportunity to integrate knowledge and skills acquired through coursework.
Practicum I, II, and III
The practica experiences involve:
- A total of 6 credits completed over three trimesters (Fall, Winter, and Spring)
- The completion of specific tasks congruent with the roles and functions of a practicing school psychologist including assessment, consultation, and academic and behavior intervention
- Face-to-face field supervision provided by a certified school psychologist
- Attendance to regularly set practicum seminar classes on campus for advanced didactic training and experiences
The internship experience involves:
- A one-year full time or a two-year half time (consecutive years) experience totaling a minimum of 1200 hours, with at least half of the time completed in a public school setting
- A total of 9 credits completed over three trimesters (Fall, Winter, and Spring)
- The opportunity to expand knowledge and skills in school psychological service delivery
- Weekly face-to-face field supervision provided by a certified school psychologist for at least 2 hours per week
- Attendance at a regularly set internship seminar class on campus for advanced didactic training and experiences
Note: It is unlikely that students will be able to maintain full-time employment while completing their internship year.