The Department of Psychology at PCOM is committed to preparing highly skilled, compassionate practitioner-scholars at the doctoral and master’s levels with sensitivity to cultural, ethnic, gender diversity and the underserved. Thus, the Department respects and affirms the equal human worth of every individual and of all distinctive groups of people. The moral and intellectual justification for this mission is rooted in the Department’s commitment to students and faculty of different backgrounds, experiences, and origins which enhances the learning experience for all. Diversity is broadly defined to include, but not limited to, respect of race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, age, abilities, religion, native tongue and culture. The programs of the Psychology Department at PCOM embrace the integration of diversity through:
- Acknowledging the salience of diversity in our society by addressing the interests and concerns of students in the Psychology Department;
- Fostering the recruitment and retention of diverse students, staff, and faculty;
- Integrating diversity education and sensitivity into the curriculum, research, and clinical training opportunities;
- Promoting empathy and respect for all groups; and
- Encouraging and educating students in promoting advocacy and social justice.
The Department of Psychology maintains a strong and ongoing commitment in these areas.